✓I was born in Cyprus in 1965 and I am a married mother of two boys.
✓ Primary and secondary education in Cyprus (Pancyprian High School 1982)
✓Degree from the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens - March 1990
✓Specialist trainee in General Surgery (eight months period, between 1990 - 1991 in the Surgical Department of the General Prefectural Hospital of Western Attica, Athens, Greece
✓Specialist trainee in General Surgery (five years and four months, between 1991 - 1996) in the 1st Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, “Laiko” General Hospital, Athens
✓I successfully passed the Board Exams for the specialty of General Surgery (August 1996)
✓I officially received the title and accreditation as a General Surgeon (September 1996)
➤Director in Robotic Surgery and Surgical Oncology department at METROPOLITAN GENERAL HOSPITAL from September 2019 to date.
➤Surgeon - Freelance professional in Cyprus “DIKTAION MEDICAL CENTER” (Strovolou avenue 290, 2048, Nicosia, Cyprus) January 2018 to date.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1.University Medical Reviews. Review Course in Basic Medical Sciences, Newark, New Jersey, U.S.A., (16/4/1990 - 29/5/1990)
2.Advanced Trauma Life Support (American College of Surgeons, Greek chapter) Patra, (4/5/2001 - 5/5/2001)
3.Basic Paediatric Life Support (Johns Hopkins University Hospital) Kos (18/5/2002 - 19/5/2002)
4.Clinical Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery at the “Surgical Department of German Red Cross Hospital Clementinenhaus, Hannover, Germany, on a scholarship from the Hellenic Surgical Society (Director Andreas Kuthe). During my term at this hospital in addition to my daily participation in the surgical programme I also attended a total of ten (10) two-day training courses in advanced laparoscopic surgery that were held in the hospital's national training centre. (5/9/2002 - 6/3/2003)
5.“Advanced Suturing” Laparoscopic Training Course, Greek Obstetrics & Gynaecology Society, Athens, Greece (10/5/2009 - 11/5/2009)
6.Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System training course (Intuitive Surgical) - Training and accreditation programme in the use of the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System, IRCAT - EITS training centre, Strasbourg, France (14/5/2009 - 15/5/2009)
7. Completed the EndoGastric Solutions™ training program on the use of the EsophyX™ device for endogastric fundoplication for the treatment of Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux. (Signed: Adrian Lobontiu, head of the programme) (2011)
8.Training programme on the use of the ADHESIX® mesh, Imelda Hospital, Bonheiden, Belgium (10/5/2011)
9.From 1990 to date I have attended many Medical and Surgical conferences in Greece and abroad.
1. General Surgery. Specialist trainee in General Surgery in the Surgical Department of General Prefectural Hospital of Western Attica (11/7/1990 - 30/4/1991)
2. General Surgery. Specialist trainee in General Surgery in the 1st Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, “Laiko” General Hospital, Athens (17/5/1991 - 28/7/1996)
3. Vascular Surgery. Quarter in Vascular Surgery in the Vascular Surgery section of the 1st Surgical Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, “Laiko” General Hospital, Athens (1/1/1995 - 30/5/1995)
4.Head and Neck Surgery. Six-month training in Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, “Agios Savvas”, Prefectural Cancer Hospital, (1/6/1995 - 31/12/1995)
5. ENT. Quarter in ENT, ENT Department, “Laiko” General Hospital, Athens, Greece
6. Rural General Practitioner. Antimachia Medical Station, Kos, Prefecture of Dodecanese (12/6/1997 - 5/7/1998)
7. Collaboration with the “IASO” General Hospital, private clinic on a daily basis.
8. Occasional collaboration with “EVGENIDION HOSPITAL” private clinic
9. Occasional collaboration with “LEFKOS STAVROS THERAPEFTIKON KENTRON” private clinic (November 2003 - April 2006)
10. Permanent regular collaboration as a Consultant in Surgery, with “LEFKOS STAVROS THERAPEFTIKON KENTRON” private clinic on a daily basis (May 2006 - September 2009)
11. Permanent regular collaboration as a Consultant in Surgery, with “ATHENS EUROCLINIC” private General Hospital on a daily basis (October 2009 - August 2013)
12. Director of Surgical Division, “ATHENS EUROCLINIC” private General Hospital from September 2013 to date.
13. Registration with the Cyprus Registry of Doctors - Reg. No.: 4410 April 2008
14. Visiting Surgeon in the Department of Robotic Surgery at the “MEDITERRANEAN HOSPITAL OF CYPRUS” March 2016 to October 2017
15. Visiting Surgeon in the Department of Robotic Surgery at the “HIPPOKRATEON PRIVATE HOSPITAL OF CYPRUS” January 2018 to date 16. Associate surgeon at the “DICTAION MEDICAL CENTRE” April 2018 to date.
17. Visiting Surgeon in the Department of Robotic Surgery at the “APOLLONION PRIVATE HOSPITAL OF CYPRUS” April 2018 to date
18. Visiting Surgeon in the Department of Robotic Surgery at the “AMERICAN MEDICAL CENTER OF CYPRUS” May 2018 to date
19. Director of Surgical Division at the “ATHENS EUROCLINIC” (9 Athanasiadou str, 11521, Athens, Greece) from September 2013 to August 2019.
My training in General Surgery took place in a particularly busy University Hospital (Laiko Hospital), in the1st Department of Surgery, University of Athens. Laiko Hospital is on-call service every third day as a core hospital and receives urgent surgical and vascular surgery cases from all over Attica. The 1st Department of Surgery has a capacity of 64 surgical and vascular surgical beds in which numerous cases of general surgery and vascular surgery are hospitalised and treated annually.
During my training, I had the opportunity to experience incidents of all levels of severity over the complete spectrum of General Surgery. I have been trained in Open Surgery, in major cases of surgical oncology, but I also had the opportunity to train in Laparoscopic Surgery. Concurrently with my practical training in the surgery, I had the opportunity to learn next to great teachers and to delve deeper into matters of theoretical knowledge.
Since 1998 I have been practicing General Surgery in the Private Sector. From 2003 to this day, I have been working as a permanent member of a surgical team, for which I am nowadays scientifically and administratively responsible. During this time, I had the opportunity to work daily with particularly serious incidents covering the whole spectrum of General Surgery and particularly Surgical Oncology. I also had the opportunity to develop my personal skills and to extend my experience in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Advanced Robotic Surgery, of which I am a strong supporter. During my professional evolution, I focused my practice on surgery of the Digestive System and Hernia, while focusing my interest on Oncology of the Digestive System.
Since April 2008 I have been licensed to practice the Medical profession in Cyprus (AM 4410). Since March 2016, when my collaboration with hospitals in Cyprus officially commenced, I have been visiting Cyprus each month, so I now divide my time between Athens and Nicosia. In Cyprus, among others, I work with the two hospitals which are equipped with the Da Vinci robotic surgical system, the AMERICAN MEDICAL CENTER and the IPPOKRATEON PRIVATE HOSPITAL.
MEMBERSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATIONS
1. Greek Surgical Society 1996
2. Greek Society of Gastrointestinal Surgery
3. Greek Collage of Surgeons 2007
4. European Association of Endoscopic Surgery 2007
5. Greek Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgery 2008
6. Association of Women Surgeons (AWS) 2012
7. European Association of Transluminal Surgery (EATS) 2013
8. South Eastern European Robotic Surgery Society (SEERSS) 2013
1. Management of Pancreatic Fistula - Updating Course in Pancreatic Disease - Genova 1992
2. Intrahepatic Stones - XVII National Surgical Congress - Athens - November 1992
3. Diagnosis and Treatment of Pancreatic Pseudo cysts - XVII National Surgical Congress - Athens - November 1992
4. Biliary tree operations in the elderly - II congress of the Geriatric Society of Northern Greece - Thessaloniki- December 1992
5. Fibrous Mesothelioma of Omental Bursa. Case Report. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 1993, 65 (1): 35-49
6. Cancer at the Gastric Stump - XIII National Congress of Gastroenterology - Rhodes – 13 -17 October 1993
7. Surgical Treatment of Recto Vaginal Fistula using Laser - XIX National Surgical Congress- Thessaloniki - 30 October - 3 November 1994
8. Surgical treatment of Asymptomatic Gallbladder Stones: Justified or over treatment? - ΧΙΧ National Surgical Congress- Thessaloniki - 30 October - 3 November 1994
9. The use of the Pectoralis Major flap for reconstruction of Facial Defects - ΙΧ National Congress of Head and Neck Surgery - Athens - 24 - 26 November 1995
10. Lymph Node Implication in Oral Cavity Cancer. Review of 65 cases - ΙΧ National Congress of Head and Neck Surgery - Athens - 24 - 26 November 1995
11. Parotid Tumours - ΙΧ National Congress of Head and Neck Surgery - Athens - 24 - 26 November 1995
12. The “Commando” Procedure for the treatment of Oral Cavity Cancer - IV National Geriatric Congress - Athens - 14 -16 December 1995
13. The Prognostic Role of Lymph Node Metastasis in Oral Cavity Cancer - IV National Geriatric Congress - Athens - 14 -16 December 1995
14. The Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Treatment approach based on 125 cases - IV National Geriatric Congress -Athens - 14 -16 December 1995
15. The significance of the Venal Reflux Logoregional Distribution in medium and severe venal insufficiency of the limbs. - Iatriki 1997, 71 (4): 364 - 368
16. Advantages of Free Pancreatic Stump in Wipple’s Procedure. British Journal of Surgery 1997, 84: 127 (Supp.)
17. Cervical Lymphangioma. Case report and literature review - Greek Journal of Head and Neck Surgery. 12 (1997) 93-103
18. p53 and EGFR expression in Colorectal Cancer: A Reappraisal of “Old” Tissue Markers in Patients with Long Follow Up Anticancer Research 2009, Feb 29 (2): 785- 791
19. Laparoscopic Excision of Urachal Sinus. Case report - XXVII National Surgical Congress & International Surgical Forum - Athens November 2010
20. Concealed Perforation of the Stomach with Devious Presentation: A case report - XX International Congress of the EAES, Brussels 20 - 23 June 2012
ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN CONFERENCES
1. Chairwoman for the free announcements meeting on the subject of: “COLON - RECTUM”. XVII NATIONAL SURGICAL CONGRESS - Athens, 24-27 November 2010
2. Commentator at a round table on the subject of: “CYSTIC PANCREATIC TUMOURS” XXVIII NATIONAL SURGICAL CONGRESS - Athens, 21-24 November 2012
3. Member of the Organising Committee of the 1st SEERS INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS IN ROBOTIC SURGERY - Limassol, Cyprus, November 30- December 2, 2012
4. Member of the Organising Committee of the 2nd SEERS INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS IN ROBOTIC SURGERY - Athens, 11-13 October 2013
5. Member of the Organizing Committee and invited guest speaker at 3rd SEERS INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS IN ROBOTIC SURGERY - SOFIA - BULGARIA, 3-4 October 2014. Presentation on: “THE ROLE OF DA VINCI SURGICAL ROBOT IN THE TREATMENT OF “DIFFICULT” DIVERTICULITIS CASES”
6. Invited Speaker at the JOINT SURGICAL SYMPOSIUM OF HELLENIC SURGICAL SOCIETY AND THE UEMS SECTION OF SURGERY - Athens, 18-19 September 2015. Speech on: “WOMEN IN SURGERY IN GREECE”
7. Invited Speaker at the 4th SEERS INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS IN ROBOTIC SURGERY - BUCHAREST - ROMANIA, 29-30 October 2015. Presentation on: “ROBOTIC HELLER’S MYOTOMY”
8. Invited speaker at the 30th NATIONAL SURGICAL CONFERENCE - THESSALONIKI - 9 -12 November 2016 at a Round Table on: “WOMEN IN SURGERY”. I expounded on the subject “WOMEN IN SURGERY IN GREECE TODAY”.
9. Invited Speaker at the 6th SEERS - INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF ROBOTIC SURGERY - ZAPPEION MEGARON - 1-3 December 2017 at a Round Table on: “UPPER GI SYRGERY”. Speech subject: “ROBOTIC NISSEN FUNDOPLICATION: TECHNICAL TIPS AND TRICKS”
10. Invited Speaker at the 24th SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE OF MEDICAL STUDENTS IN GREECE (E.S.F.I.E.) and the 12th INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF MEDICAL STUDENTS AND NEW DOCTORS - ATHENS 27-29 April 2018, at the "Divani Caravel" Hotel, Round Table on the latest surgical techniques entitled "Debating our “cutting” techniques". I took part in Debate entitled: “LAPAROSCOPIC VS ROBOTIC SURGERY IN GENERAL SURGERY” in which I supported the role of Robotic Surgery.
11. Invited speaker at the 30st NATIONAL SURGICAL CONFERENCE – ATHENS HILTON 21 – 24 September 2018 at a Round Table on: “DEALING WITH COMPLICATIONS IN COLORECTAL SURGERY” Speech subject: “COMPLICATIONS OF ROBOTIC ASSISTED COLORECTAL SURGERY”
12. Invited speaker at the 30st NATIONAL SURGICAL CONFERENCE - ATHENS HILTON 21 – 24 September 2018 at a Round Table on: “CONCERNS ON INGUINAL HERNIA REPAIR”, Speech subject: “COMPARISON BETWEEN ROBOTIC AND LAPAROSCOPIC RECONSTRUCTION”
✓Greek (Native language)
✓English (Very Good)